Like you, MAS is here to help. As we are a mutual founded by doctors, medical students can apply for our MAS Elective Scholarship to help with $1,500 towards their elective placement costs.
For applications to be accepted for judging, they must meet the following criteria:
To have a valid entry for the MAS Elective Scholarship, applicants must:
- be signed up to Join the Conversation. To join, visit: bit/ly.masconvo
- be currently studying for a medical degree in New Zealand.
- only make one entry per person, and no group applications will be accepted;
- be going on their Elective in the upcoming Elective period as outlined in the Application periods timetable below.
- agree to comply with the terms and conditions.
- Write an essay that:
- answers the question stipulated by MAS;
- is no longer than 1,000 words;
- is the original work of the Applicant;
- is emailed as a Microsoft Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MAS electives scholarship”;
- is typed, double line-spaced, with numbered pages and sources referenced using footnotes.
Footnotes must include:
- author, title of publication, publisher if available, date or internet URL wherever possible for source references if applicable.
- full name, year of study, place of study, intended elective destination, elective dates, email address and mobile number
Entries that do not meet these criteria will not be read and are not eligible for the Scholarship.
MAS and its judges are under no obligation to provide feedback on any entries, either during or after the competition.
How to apply
For the Elective period August 2019 – November 2019, students are asked to write up to 1,000 words on the question “Do electives contribute to, or detract from the Global Health Organisations targets 2025?"
All applications must be received on time, by email to email@example.com with the subject line “MAS electives scholarship”.
Please ensure your application meets all the entry criteria and you have read the terms and conditions carefully. You will receive an automated email confirming the receipt of your application, if you do not, please check the email address you have used is correct.
|Elective period||Applications open||Applications close||Judging period||Scholarship awarded|
|Nov 18 to Feb 19||CLOSED||CLOSED||CLOSED||CLOSED|
|Feb 19 to May 19||CLOSED||CLOSED||CLOSED||CLOSED|
|May 19 to Aug 19||CLOSED||CLOSED||CLOSED||CLOSED|
|Aug 19 to Nov 19||11 March 19||6 June 19||10 - 21 June 19||26 June 19|
Scholarship recipient criteria
By submitting an entry for this Scholarship, the applicant agrees that if they win they will be required to share their Elective experiences by:
- Writing a monthly blog on hub.mas.co.nz, including photos and/or video, and
- Writing a summary (or submitting a video) of the elective experience to show how the scholarship helped.
MAS reserves the right to recover the amount of any scholarship moneys paid to any successful applicant who breaches this term.
Additional terms of the MAS Elective Scholarship
Please read the MAS Elective Scholarship terms and conditions for additional terms.
MAS Elective Scholarship recipients
Thank you to everyone who has submitted an application for the MAS Elective Scholarship.
Congratulations to the following recipients of the MAS Elective Scholarship. You can read their winning applications by clicking their names.
Past MAS Elective Scholarship recipient Isabel See said “Thanks very much for everything! All of these (sic) would not have been possible without the MAS scholarship! It was a really enriching experience and I have thoroughly enjoyed myself.” See’s elective took her to the Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery department at Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in England. You can read about her experience online.